Saturday, August 21, 2010

A Man Needs Meat and Potatoes

When I cook dinner.. I thoughtfully consider what will fill and please my husband's tummy. So, if you are married to or dating a meat and potatoes kind of guy.. I strongly urge you to try this recipe. Your man will love it.

Tonight's dinner was created (yet again) at random and inspired by mexican taco's or enchiladas. It's actually fairly simple.

Prep time = 20 - 25 minutes
Cook time = 25 - 30 minutes

Hashbrown Enchilada Casserole
Ingredients:
- 1 lb of hash browns (I used cubed instead of shredded but, it doesn't matter what you choose)
- 1/2 of a sweet onion
- 1 cup of diced tomato (I chose grape tomatoes this time.. it took longer to cut so.. pick something else)
- 4 cheese Mexican (I used Reduced Fat)
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of mild red enchilada sauce (my hubby is spice sensitive.. I'd prefer spicy)
- (Optional) 1 lb of ground meat
- (Optional) 1 jalapeno
- 1/2 of diced scallions (add at the end)
- Salt and pepper to taste

Combine the ingredients in any particular order.. doesn't matter. Make sure all ingredients are evenly distributed in the casserole pan. Add the cheese to the top and cover with aluminum foil.

Bake at 425 for 20 minutes - covered. Add the scallions. Uncover. Bake for an additional 5 - 7 minutes.

This was my first time making this recipe. Oh my goodness.. Wow! Every bite has a different texture and flavor. The tomatoes give it a sweetness and the beans give it softness... the potato and the onion have contrasting texture. It was surprisingly delicious.

I don't think I have ever seen Jon eat his dinner so fast. I did actually time him and he consumed the large proportion of the casserole in less than 3 minutes. I was shocked yet satisfied with his reaction to my cooking. I'm sure that your man will love it too.

This is before baking the casserole


After removing the foil and adding the scallions


Time to eat!


My plate 


Jon's plate

I decided to add a simple side to this mexican inspired dish. Corn seemed fitting for the meal. We had a glass of fruity Chardonnay with dinner.. I believe it was called "Lucky Duck" for $7 at Wal-Mart, believe it or not. 

If I had to guess how much it cost to make this dinner.. I would say $15.. plus not a lot of time. :)


Copyright 2010 Hint of Thyme. All rights reserved.

4 comments:

  1. I Loved it! The portion was perfect!
    -Husband-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm....that sounds yummmy (minus the scallons :)

    I think I might have to try this one sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Yes.. let me know if you try it and how you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I tried this and it was a hit. sometimes the best dishes are created from just winging it. Mara you win a blue ribbon on this one...It definitely fits in the Man's World of comfort food.

    ReplyDelete